Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Welcome to the United States of America. Bienvenidos a los Estados Unidos de América.

After 25 hours, 3 flights, 3 passport controls, numerous security checkpoints, the flight attendant continually thinking that cutie beside me was my husband (unfortunately, he was already married to someone else...at least he wasn't a Mormon this time! haha!), my last flight time changing 3 times, and being frisked by the security guard in Philly, I am now home. Yesterday was quite the interesting day! (And in case you were worried, the wine and palinka bottles arrived unscathed. hehe!)


Obsevations from yesterday's adventures that I find somewhat amusing and/or hilarious:

It will never fail that if I have to go pee, we will hit turbulence. That's slightly irritating.

The U.S. welcome sign is in Spanish.

Security is "no laughing matter," yet the security guards and passport control officers were making jokes with us.

That I stood in "Welcome Home" customs for 30 minutes, got to my next gate at the exact minute the plane was supposed to be taking off to find no plane. After a few minutes of thinking I'd missed the flight but my luggage had probably taken off, I found out it had been delayed 2 1/2 hours. So I got something to eat and came back to find out the time changed again and was leaving in 20 minutes instead. Oy!

You aren't allowed to smoke in airplanes. Nonetheless, in the airplane toilets, there is a metal thing on the back of the door that is labeled in German and in English, "Ash Tray," and directly beside it is a sign that says, "No Smoking Permitted in the Lavatory," and another sign above the trash receptical that says, "No Cigarette Disposal." Okay, seriously, people? This plane is not from 1952; it is fairly new. Don't you think you would have thought that one through before you put those things there? The contradictions just made me laugh. 

In the Budapest airport, they clearly realized the complete nonsense of making you take off your shoes when going through security. However, they haven't figured that one out in Philadelphia yet...

Date Night is a very funny movie. (I also watched How to Train Your Dragon, about 3 minutes of a Lego documentary until I decided it was dumb, Walt Disney cartoons...The Ugly Duckling is so sad!, listened to an Anna Netrebko recital recording and Diana Damrau's Coloratura Arias album, and watched about 20 minutes of Tosca but decided I really didn't like the voices so I couldn't get myself to finish it. Oh, the things that can be accomplished in an 8 1/2 hour flight! haha!)


Gratitude 247
Signs in airports that lead you to exactly where you need to be.  :)

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha love it. So, so true.

    xoxo! kate
    www.transatlanticsketches.com

    ReplyDelete