It was a lovely train ride out. Just as I remembered it. And I felt like I was "home." I know it is silly, but Hungary, especially Kecskemét, is like a home to me now. Heather met me at the station, and we walked to her apartment. It was another hot day! Then, we just roamed around town for awhile...the wine shop, the Institute (When we walked in, my old room was open, so I got to see it, too!), a lemonade and cake at a cafe across the street (Teatrum is gone! *sigh* But Vincent's was lovely, too!), browsing around the infamous Málom, lounging on a green area in the town square, dinner at the csárda... At midday, we went to her place for lunch, and we gave dear ol' János a ring via Skype!
Gratitude 245
It was so great to talk to János! :) His voice booms even over Skype! haha! I was seeing if perhaps I could have a lesson with him while I was in the country, but sadly, he is now at Lake Balaton on holiday. Nonetheless, we talked for probably 15-20 minutes. :)
There was also some "Csipero" festival going on...supposedly some youth and children's thing, but I think there were more adults there having more fun. haha! ;) There was a lazer show and the most incredible fireworks spectacle I have ever seen! It was amazing! (Maybe fireworks are cheaper in Hungary. I don't know, but in the States, that would have been a pretty penny!)
I feared slightly for the historic buildings, though...they set them off from the steeple on the Nagytemplom!! Is that legal?! Apparently. haha! They were beautiful, though. A drink and chats at Otthon Mozi after and a little dancing at Amor. What a lovely end to a lovely day! :)
On the way back to Budapest this morning, I discovered a horrible mistake that I did not catch soon enough. When I bought my ticket in Budapest yesterday, I asked with the correct Hungarian that I wanted a return ticket. Well, clearly, they didn't ive me that, and I was stupid enough just to assume they'd actually followed my specific instructions. Idiot. Because I was fined 3000 Forints for being on the train without a ticket AND still had to pay for another ticket! Are you serious?! I was very angry. Well, what's done is done. Nothing else to do but fork over the $18. Could have been worse...they could have arrested me...and pretty sure that wouldn't go well! haha! Just irritates me because it wasn't entirely my fault. Argh!
Back in Budapest this afternoon, I went to the Gellért Baths for the afternoon. It was nice. Very Hungarian. haha! Probably something I would not do regularly, but I am glad I experienced it. Also, Europeans are clearly not afraid to let it all out! Saw way too much nakedness! haha!
I spent about two hours there and then decided I was pruny enough. The water felt so nice. It was very melty out today! I walked to the Széchenyi Bridge and crossed over to Pest there. How beautiful this city is! Nagyon szépen!
An ice cream and some water after a bit of wandering and winding my way through Pest back to Levi's apartment. There were little festivals going on at the end of the bridge and also on Erzebet tér. Something WAMP, I think it was called...some artsy something or other. Glancing at all the booths was fun. :)
I think I am beginning to realize that yes, I love Europe and miss it when I am not there, but I think even more so it is that I miss this specific country. (You don't think I grew a bit attached during my semester here, do you? hehe! Of course not! hehe!) I wish my stay in Hungary was longer, but I'll probably always wish that...and I feel I may have made a terrible mistake not to return in September...)
***************
Tonight, Levi and I went over to one of his friends' place and watched the World Cup Final. Such a terribly booooring game! Spain won...if you don't already know, sorry to spill the beans. haha! The most exciting part was went they pulled a red card...Er hat die Aschkarte gezorgen! hehe! So then I could finally use my new sentence in its literal context. ;)
The company was a lot of fun, though. We sat out on a terrace watching the game on a little television set, drinking beer, and eating homemade pizza, cheesecake, and guacamole. A truly international crowd, 3 or 4 Hungarians, 1 Romanian, 1 Turk, and 1 American. I really enjoyed it. And they have such an adorable little flat, too! :)
Tomorrow...Buda and the Castle District and any ideas Levi may have for the evening. :) I love Hungary!
No comments:
Post a Comment