Monday, July 5, 2010

A Day in a Fairytale Storybook Castle...and the adventures of yesterday!

First of all, Happy Belated 4th to my fellow Americans! And now for a bit of catch up...I'll start with yesterday, so it is chronological. :)

Yesterday, I set out to explore museums. First the Deutsches Museum and then the Alte Pinakothek. The first museum I wasn't so sure about, but it turned out to be really cool. There is practically everything there. My little sister Becca would have had a blast there! I learned how photos work, how they make mirrors (I have always wondered that!), saw engines of airplanes, all sorts of musical instruments through the ages, the different way things are printed, and....what it's like in a mine...



At first, I thought, "This is cool" Then, as I was led down stair that took me further and further below ground with no one in sight or hearing distance, I started to psych myself out, claustrophobia set in, and I started panicking because I couldn't find my way out. Well, that was fun! haha! An adventure, at least.

Once I finally calmed down and got myself out of there, I then headed to the Alte Pinakothek. Per usual, I turned the wrong way on the street and ended up walking in a giant circle. Tired, hungry, and frustrated, I couldn't find food, but I eventually made my way to the museum where I was so thankful for the tomato and mozzarella sandwich in the cafe! I then surmounted the giant staircase and wandered through the galleries of 14th through 18th century art. I even saw da Vinci's "Virgin and CHild" and one of the largest collections of Ruben's works. Pretty cool.



(The dude in the second pic looks likes Ed Begley, Jr.! haha!)

Then, it was a rest and off to dinner and Diana Damrau's song recital...and you already know about that. ;)


Today, I forked over the money to do the Neuschwanstein Castle Tour. Even though it was a lot more money that I should have spent, I am glad I did it. I thought about going on my own but definitely glad I didn't! It was a bit of a mess in the beginning...trains were late, not running, etc.And It was gloomy and rainy. :( We were stranded at a station somewhere in the middle of the trip because we were forced to switch trains, and the trains were so full that a bunch of us had to stand most of the time. Ugh. I was starting to wonder why I had paid so much for the disaster that was occurring as my day.

When we finally arrived, though, it was totally worth it! How can you not like the Bavarian Alps?! Beautiful views! I was warned it was a bit of a "hike" to the bridge and the castle...why do I never believe it when I am told this? Oy vey! (I am going to be buff when I return home next week! haha! Not! Way too out of shape for this...it is like you need to train for a marathon before you come to Europe to travel! haha!) Againh, though, I would have missed out on a lot of wonderful views if I hadn't toughed it out and hiked it up. And at the top...definitely worth the workout! The castle was absolutely stunning. It was like I walked in to a fairytale storybook. Sadly, I was not allowed to take any pictures inside, but pretty much everything you imagine to be quintessentially castle is inside. The guide even let me test the acoustics of the singer's hall with a couple of quick notes! :)



Although practically a shrine to the operas of Wagner, it is also the castle that inspired Walt Disney's Sleeping Beuaty Castle, and many of the decor details, I believe, do appear in the movie. Of course, as we left the castle, the sun came out, and the skies cleared up! Oh, well. The rain certainly did not put a damper on the beauty of the castle. Met some cool Canadians...and yes, Dad, they said "eh" all the time! haha!...and a bunch of other people, too. 

Also...I saw this poster out side of the train station yesterday...hysterical! haha! :



Gratitude 242
I am thankful that for this one day, someone else was in charge of my where to be when...I love traveling, but sometimes, I need a break from being in charge of my life. haha!

I am so unbelievably blessed to be in Europe! Yes, it's tiring, stressful, and quite lonely at times, but this is an incredible opportunity to be here at any point in one's life. The adventure of a life time. Carpe diem!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment