Never really a dull moment in my life! On our road trip up for the wedding, Caitie and I kept running into weather with tourettes. It'd be nice and sunny, then a downpour, sun, and then little blurps of spitting rain. Weird.
About 3/4 of the way here, we hit an awful storm, and Bryan called to inform us that there was a tornado warning...and we were in the path of the storm. Lovely. Remaining calm and like a good friend would do, I didn't tell Caitie any of this. (Twenty minutes prior, she had informed me of her deathly fear of tornadoes.) I just told her, "Caitie, we're turning into the next driveway and going to ask to go inside." She didn't understand why or what, but I just told her to do. Being in the middle of the country, there was nothing but a house every half-mile or so, so there wasn't any other choice. My own alarm came when everything went completely dead; the rain stopped, the wind calmed, and the clouds were creepy dark with light puffs and a pinkish haze: the calm before the storm.
So...we knocked on some random house and asked to seek refuge. That could have turned out horrifically or terrifically. Thankfully, God was watching out for us (Gratitude 234), and the old man that lived there was very kind. And we somehow picked the poshest house in the area...the basement was decked out with a humongous flat screen and leather couches. geez! We chilled out there for about 20 minutes, and then all was cool. And now we're here safe and sound! (Caitie found out later in the day yesterday the whole truth about the storm situation...she wasn't too happy but very glad she didn't know in the midst of it all.)
We then spent the evening tying a million purple ribbons on the chocolate-dipped pretzel favors, rolling the programs into scrolls and tying ribbons on them, AND I got to decorate the giant basket for the programs with ribbons. :) It took nearly three hours, but it looks pretty!!! (And don't worry...Ann would not allow me the use of glitter.)
I don't know how I possibly could have slept last night after so much giggling, reminiscing, excitement, and the realization that there is a wedding in two days...and Europe in three!! Eek! :) ...And I had THE weirdest dream... haha!
That's crazy! It's so good that you knew enough to go inside and that the person was friendly. All worked out in the end and I'm so glad you didn't get eaten by a tornado.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with everything and don't forget to keep having fun!