Yesterday, I had orientation and today I started training for my new job. At orientation, we got to tour the kitchen...it was like Unwrapped. :) And today...I got to taste every flavor of ice cream. Um...yum! ;)
(This could be hazardous...)
Although I am only just starting this job, I feel like I am working for a company that genuinely cares. Everyone I have met thus far has been helpful and kind and sincere. It's like a mini artist's colony, too...just about everyone is an artist of some sort...drawing, painting, sculpting, music, photography, etc.
I have oddly been thoroughly exhausted lately, too...perhaps it's my partial insomnia of not being able to fall asleep (...in addition to my slight addiction to late night tv...). Whatever it is, it's annoying, so it should stop!
Gratitude 256
Puzzles. :)
In other news...my dad and I watch America's Got Talent, mainly for kicks and giggles, and we subsequently text each other back and forth about the ridiculousness appearing on our television screens. (It's like our "bonding" time or something.) I have qualms with that show and what passes as "okay" in that world. It just irks me. In about 90% of the cases, it's someone wanting their "15 minutes of fame" and producers wanting to skyrocket their ratings, and thus, merely an odd form of entertainment for the masses. However, in the real realm of things, thinking about what the winners get at the end of this competition, I wish there was more sense in the judging and choosing of acts. And I am sure by now, everyone's heard of the 10-year old "opera" star. Ew. Seriously, people?
First off, NO 10-year old should be singing opera, let alone studying voice to that extent. TOO young, and the voice is not mature enough to handle that...there's a reason many teachers don't take students younger than 14! She's destroying herself and won't have a voice or career by age 15. (Look at what happened to Charlotte Church, the previous "voice of an angel".) Second, she chose to sing "O mio babbino caro." Super famous piece, sure, but she hasn't a clue what she's singing about. (Of course, I'll give her credit that there are even professionals that don't understand the piece.) Third, she sounds like a female Kermit the Frog, trying to produce big, mature, 40-year old sounds in an unhealthy way. Yes, she may have a good voice, but save it, honey...slow down and sing age-appropriate music! Also, she's already getting quite a big head...like she's "Miss America" or something.
Perhaps, there's some bitterness or something in this because she's 10 and having it all just set in front of her for the taking, and I've got a degree and not sure which direction any of it is taking me. But really people, don't encourage this vocal destruction! Encourage pursuit, patience, letting the voice grow as is natural, and singing what's appropriate at the given time for the specific place your voice is in.
Okay, I'll put my soap box away for now. Good night!
I'm glad to hear someone else rant about the 10 year old "opera singer" because I said the exact same thing when I heard about it. I'm like "no one should be singing Puccini at 10" and everyone was like "REALLY???" First of all, people just don't know. Second of all, people who do know should say something. What kind of teacher takes a 10 year old and encourages this? That's what bothers me. I'm afraid that this girl may lose her voice and she's too young to know it and make the decision for herself. It all makes me sad.
ReplyDeleteBut ice cream -- that makes me very happy. :)
Thank you! I don't even think I should be singing Puccini most of the time (even though I do occasionally)! Also...that'd be not a good teacher who would do that...someone who's only in it to suck up the rich kid's parent's money.
ReplyDelete