I am forcing myself to sit down and write a post because procrastinating about it only makes more to remember that I want to write!
I wish I had some sort of epic tale to tell of my latest travels, but they were really quite mellow on the adventure scale. And you know what? I'm okay with that! This trip's focus was: relax and keep the voice fresh and tension-free, visit with my Katie and Bry Bry, visit the school, meet endearing people, AUDITION, Katie's opera, wine. ;) Sadly, there are no lovely photos to accompany this post, as I STILL can't find my camera battery charger...this is getting irritating! And the campus there is just so beautiful, so I am very sorry I was unable to get some artistic photography out of this trip. :(
I arrived in Chi-Town Wednesday evening and made it out to Katie and Bryan's in time to have some quick pizza and zip off to the final dress for the school's opera, The Magic Flute. It was not Katie's cast, so we just watched. The director had no idea who this random girl was with Katie. I caught him staring at me a few times, and you could just see his head reeling with, "Who is that? I think I've seen her before. Am I supposed to know this person?" etc. haha! I just love bewildering people! Esp. when I know who they are, but they aren't sure if they know me. Of course, he'd seen me before; he watched the prescreening DVDs. Good times. ;)
Wednesday was errands day, brunch at Le Peep (yum!), a bit of practicing, and relaxing. We ran into Sunny Joy (the teacher I took a lesson with when I visited in December), and she was so excited that I was auditioning and promised to be there the next day. I met many of the students in the voice dept. and got to hear many of them sing, which was so great. Most everyone was so nice and happy to chat and get to know a new face about town. Many so humble despite the enormous amount of talent. :)
Katie had a performance that night, so I was left with the apartment to myself...except for Carmen, their cat, who was obsessed with a laser pointer. Every time I put it down, she freaked until I got it back out. Oh, man! haha! Only thing that would keep her from jumping all over me; I'm quite allergic to cats. A relaxing bubble bath, face mask, tea, Gnomeo and Juliet (quite ridiculous but entertaining), and an overall quiet evening.
Friday was audition day. Pretty dress, pretty hair, pretty makeup, glitzy jewelry, a bit of Anastasia music while getting ready, and I was set to go wow them with some crystal high notes. ;) I don't know how, but I was warming up to high F#s like they were nothing for some obscure reason. I'll take it! And now enter the ridiculous irony of my life...
Pam, one of the voice faculty, came out to usher me into the audition room, and instead of a typical "Hello," I was greeted with an exclamation of where my home town is and that she grew up a mere 20 minutes from my country bumpkin small town. Say what?! Yes, it's true. The people I meet and the connections they have to my life are mind-blowing! haha! How are these things actually possible?? It was pretty adorable, though. (And just yet another ironic connection for me to that school...)
My audition time slot was very generous there...3:40pm, but they were running behind, so I didn't sing for them till about 4pm. Prime singing time! ;) I feel it went rather well. Not perfect by any means, but well done and tension-free tessitura. Also, what piece did they choose? Of course, the Hungarian! haha! Sunny was unfortunately late that day, and did not make it in to my audition. However, I walked out of the room to find her standing right in front of my face; she'd walked up two seconds after the door closed and was going to go in, but the piano started playing then. So instead, she listened through the door with Katie. ;) I am very thankful for both of their support throughout that weekend...and Katie being my lady-in-waiting the whole day. It meant a lot to me (Gratitude 319). :)
And as for the results of this audition and Boston's...che sera, sera...I'll know in a couple of weeks...and till then, I'm apt to be a bit off-kilter and a little more stressed. I must remember, though, that it is in God's hands now.
Friday evening was filled with some wine, Mad Libs, Carol Burnett videos on YouTube, a bit of silliness, and receiving the completed music video from our video shoot a couple of weeks ago! It can currently be found here. Oh, man! It is fantastically cheesy. Gotta love it!
Saturday, I had a meeting at the university and then just dilly-dallying. Dinner with the McGookeys and the opera. A little get-together at their apartment with hor d'oeuvres and wine. :)
Sunday was back to Ohio...and a grumpy Samantha! :/ Hopefully back to wonderful Chi-town, again, in the near future! Such a lovely town! ;) Time to get back to work and on to whatever is next. Besides, I think Geri might have gone crazy if I'd stayed away longer! hehe! Regional NATS Competition this Saturday. Oooh Bowling Green. Not a fan of that place, but it is what it is...and another 9:30am audition slot...goody! haha! Just another chance to perform and put myself in an audition setting...always good practice, since this is my life!
Cheers!
I love your video for that travelling site!!! :)
ReplyDelete