I made an adventure out to Where'd-everything-go-ville of Boston. haha! The Sam Adams Brewery is a bit out there, but it was pretty and a lovely little walk around. I picked up tickets for Betsy and me and then found a little pub for lunch.
All I have to say is: Sam Adams Brewery Tour...best decision EVER! That was so cool! I'll just throw it straight out there: for American beer, Sam Adams is probably the best. I highly recommend this free tour if you are ever in the Boston area...and like beer. ;) Betsy and I were standing right where they shoot the commercials, our guide was a hoot with a pretty sweet job, and, of course, free beer samples. New discovery: Sam Adams Brick Red. Yum! But sadly, it is only available via draft in Boston. :( Happy day that I got to sample it. Sad day that you can't find it in Ohio. Lame! Extra special treat whenever I'm visiting Boston, though!
My overall impression of Boston (esp. as a potential city in which I may soon live): Although it is the oldest city in the U.S., it is a really "young" city. With the ridiculous number of colleges and universities in the city, there are masses of 20-somethings. It's also quite casual and chill. Boston in February is yucky weather. Cambridge is pretty awesome but super expensive. There's a bit of sticker-shock with price tags everywhere. Great seafood. Even though there is so much American history in this city, it is such an international place; everywhere you go, it's like little pieces of Europe or always different languages being spoken. I just don't get bus systems...in any city...but subways I get. The subway there actually reminded me a lot of Budapest or Munich. I think every city should have a subway system. ;)
| This is what the intelligent students of Cambridge do when it snows. haha! Actually, the best display was on Harvard's Radcliffe College lawn...snow forts all set for a snow renegade! Yes! |
Gratitude 313
I thoroughly enjoyed not being governed by a cell phone during my time abroad, however, I cannot deny how wonderful it was to be traveling somewhere and having that source of communication with me. (Clearly, I haven't done very much domestic travel, since it threw me for a loop that my phone would still have reception the whole time I was away!) My friend Chris asked me as we were talking on the phone trying to locate each other (we'd each walked the opposite direction on the same street and wondered why we didn't see each other! haha!), "What did people do before cell phones? How did we ever survive without them?" We all remember time before cell phones; it really wasn't that long ago. I was a senior in high school when I got my first one, so something like 5 1/2 years ago, but what did we do when we didn't have them?? Some are a little overly obsessed with the communication source; sometimes, I think we are verging on being too connected. Nonetheless, I am thankful to have this technology at our fingertips.
(And an extra one for good measure...)
Gratitude 314
I have realized in the past week or so just how wonderful of a support system I have. It is easy in this world, in this career, to get caught up in the ideas that you are rowing away in your own little boat, and others just give you a glancing pat on the back and a "Good for you" as they keep walking by. Some people, indeed, do just that. But then, there are those who make sure all is well every step of the way and eagerly await the next "morning report" (Lion King, anyone?!) or status update. It's true that many will never know, nor understand, it all (and some will never understand any of it), but after all, no one but yourself has an entire experience as you have had it. That's just how it is. Regardless, it is the encouragement of those dear ones that walk with you instead of by you that makes you realize that you may be on your own but not alone. Thanks, guys! I really appreciate it, and all of your support in my craziness means a lot to me. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment