Last night, I chilled out in comfy pants and watched [part of] Toy Story 3. Went to bed at 10:30...and then my darling friend Katie called as soon as I'd laid down. A lovely, happy surprise...but I also had an alarm set for 4:30am. I knew I wasn't going to get much sleep anyhow, so we chatted for awhile. I was later awoken in a panic by a Lady Gaga ringtone (yes, it's true) with a call from the airline. 1:10am...flight delayed. Hello, flight change #4!
Q took me to the airport at 7:30am. Flight at 9:25...to Alabama?! Actually, it was supposed to be Charlotte, NC, but my text message had said Alabama. Okaay. Before the plane came in, though, I checked in with the ticket desk about whether or not my connecting flight to Boston was even going to happen. Surprise, surprise! Canceled. haha! Schedule change #5: back to the DC plan. They told me I'd have a flight to Boston...except some had been canceled. Hmm...
Fast forward to 10:30am...landed in DC, flight status to Boston "On Time". 20 minutes later: status unknown. Swapped storm battle stories with a few fellow travelers, and one woman said she'd been on the last plane to Boston, was in the middle of the whole flight safety speech, and everyone's phone's started ringing with the automated cancellation messages. Their flight had been canceled, and they had to unboard. That sucks.
We actually boarded at noon, but no one was counting any chickens until we actually got in the air. Even then, they said there may be some circling once we got to Boston until a window opened up for us to land. I thought, watch them land us somewhere that's definitely not Boston, or worse...back to DC. Oh, man!
That flight had some patches of some of the worst turbulence I've ever experienced, which found me muttering "Hail, Mary"s under my breath while flipping mindlessly through the SkyMall magazine. (There are some pretty obscene "inventions" out there. I just don't know what this world has come to! haha!)
Alas, we landed in good ol' Massachusetts! Hallelujah! Made my way to Harvard Square via airport transport and the T (subway). When I came up to street level at the station, this was my first real view of the outside. Exhausted, tired, grumpy and so over it, I literally said out loud as I was trying to drag my suitcase through it, "Are you kidding me?! Am I serious about wanting to move here? Why?!" Snow everywhere. Seriously. Everywhere. They have no place to put it. And then it melts in places that make really deep puddles of mucky slush (which later freezes to sheer ice...and then will melt again tomorrow). Ew.
It's all good, though. Traveling, esp. in these circumstances, is overwhelming, and even more so when you are doing it on your own. But I'm a conqueror! It's gonna be grand! ;)
Gratitude 311
Tazo "Refresh" mint tea from Starbucks. I think I have found my calming device when traveling. Or any time. ;)
Early mornings every day while I'm here. *sigh* What is it with the world actually thinking it should function before 8am? haha! Rehearsal with Heather (my accompanist from Hungary...who just so happens to live in Boston now and is going to play my audition) at 9am...on the opposite side of the city. Perhaps a few very small shenanigans along my way back. Trial lesson at the school at 5. Then, dinner with a friend from high school (haven't seen him in 5 years...it's gonna be crazy weird!). I should probably find a map first...
P.S. Even with an extra night at my apartment, still no camera charger... :(
No comments:
Post a Comment