Thursday, November 27, 2014

Time to brush off the dust...

I feel as if I have just unearthed this blog from the corners of an ancient attic, long neglected yet still waiting to be rediscovered. It's been many moons since I have touched this spot in the cyberworld, but it is time to brush off the dust, fill in some blanks, and enter back into the chronicles of my crazy life. Why I've neglected this, I am not sure, but "should'ves" are only counterproductive, so we pick up, brush ourselves off, and carry onward.


In a nutshell since my last post...


I rocked my GPD recital.



The amazing Amy "Riverdance" Fahy came to visit from Ireland, and we took the city of Boston by whirlwind.



Sang two different one-act opera productions.



Completed my graduate studies.



Spent an amazing two weeks in lovely Nahant rehearsing and performing with some really great friends/colleagues and meeting so many wonderful people.



And I crazily also tossed into those two weeks a recital performance back in the city...



Moved to an apartment that I love and has been rightfully named "The Ship" because we have discovered it is actually crooked. (Yes, it is legitimately a crooked apartment, which certainly does not help my balance issues and clumsiness! Nonetheless, that's part of the place's charm.) AND...it has a washer & dryer! Heaven! Also, my roommates and I agree that Jimmy Fallon needs to come over for dinner because it would be absolutely epic! (Still convinced my life is a sitcom or comic film somewhere! haha!)



Moved my little sister to college! :(



I got a "big girl" desk job with a regular paycheck. (What?! And I laughed when I made the comment last New Year's about me in a corporate job. Guess the joke is on me! haha!) Pays my bills whilst I chug along on this music path. ;)


My commute to work became only ten minutes! (This is quite glorious.)

Became a rostered Teaching Artist for the Met Opera Guild. (More to come on that next semester!)

Began studying with a new voice teacher and am starting to unlock more of my voice.

Created a website! Simple, but it does the job. Check it out: www.samanthadearborn.com

I've become extra obsessed with learning...EVERYTHING. Some days, I don't even care what it is about, I will read any educational article! And then I will get lost in the YouTube vortex of legendary singers till 2am. I am actually quite enjoying this "free form" study track I have entered since leaving the academic force field. I can do anything I want!





I have discovered that I am the force that brings me back to the piano to practice day after day. My passion for music has enveloped me in ways I was not sure possible. Sure, some days I am completely exhausted, and I don't get much accomplished singing-wise. Or I am tired and take a break from practicing for a couple days...however, I know more than ever that it is who I am, and I will achieve it.
 


And somewhere along the way, I guess I became a full-fledged grown-up. It's weird, it's crazy, it's scary, and I'm already stressing about inching closer to 30. (Yes I know, I have three more years before that's actually real!) But it's awesome, full of unanswered questions and open-ended possibilities, and taking chances. Not knowing when I will travel again is probably one of the worst feelings, but just as in three or six months ago when I didn't even know how I would manage to pay bills, we never know what is going to happen when, so I'll hang tight to the faith and dreams.


Stay tuned as I try not to let this spot collect more dust...and some exciting things brewing for the springtime! :)

Happy Turkey Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment