| Photo Credit: Ya-Chun |
Exciting new discoveries in my voice. My voice coach said I'm finally growing into my "big girl" voice. hehe! He's so silly! In any case, I really enjoy my coachings with him. :) He's been really good for me. Our coachings are always a little ridiculous, though. For instance, last week, this exchange happened:
Me: singing a Purcell songI was a little worried coming off of the holidays, feeling a little vocally out of shape and not as prepared as I felt I needed to be on my recital rep. However, something happened in that last week of the holidays, and I walked into the semester with a "sudden" grounding. It's crazy...and AWESOME! :) This is when music is the most fun, adding all the nuances and playing with colors and inflection of the words. Love!
Him: "Where's your leT THe?! Ach! Julie [Andrews] would be so disappointed... *shakes his head in disappointment*
Also happening in my life... You are looking at the newest Visiting Faculty member of my school's community music program, teaching a group voice class for 8-10 y/os! (Yes, that's right...I'm a student in the conservatory AND a faculty member in the community programs. I live in this crossover world of the school.) I have a mailbox with the "big kids" now and a faculty key! Crazy...and AWESOME! What an opportunity! :)
Recital prep is well underway. It is all starting to settle and come together, bit by bit. There are still a few pieces definitely still "under construction," but they will get there in time. :)
Sang a competition in Rhode Island a couple weeks ago. Didn't win, but singing well means more than that. (And the one judge's face when I sang the required piece was priceless! And made the whole thing worth it! Literally, it was the boy's face in the new Kraft Mac 'n Cheese commercial.) Plus, gave my roommate and I a little crazy adventure for the afternoon!
| Photo Credit: Amanda |
And most recently, I sang in a masterclass with Martin Katz yesterday! What fun! And what an incredibly brilliant man! He was in town for recital with soprano Karita Mattila (which has since been cancelled due to the current blizzard...), and since Mr. Katz is the former teacher of my voice coach, he kindly paid us a visit to spend a couple hours working on beautiful art songs with us. What a treat!
| Photo Credit: Jaime |
In other news, my hair is still an every day topic of discussion at school and on Facebook, and I actually find it hilarious! I think it's funny how every time I walk into a room, the greeting is not, "Hi, Samantha!" No, it's "Whoa! What's with your hair today?!" Ha! Ridiculous! Dr. D's most recent name for me is Squirrely, after a squirrel tried to claw its way through my bathroom window...and the joke was made that he saw the opportunity for a new nest. haha! Oh, boy! All this talk of "woodland creatures," so now, I've basically turned into Giselle of Andalusia in Enchanted? I wore my hair completely down the other day, and I think I disrupted the universe or something.
And now, we have "Winter Storm Nemo" (How can I take this seriously when they name it that?!)...school's closed, basically the whole city of Boston has shut down, the trains stop running in two hours, and we'll probably be house-bound till Sunday at the least. (You would think that New Englanders would be accustomed to winter weather, but they seem to freak as much as Ohioans did...
| Photo circulating Facebook |
So...I'm slowly chipping away at my to-do list, trying to use the time productively and need to get some recital work done for sure! I have gummy bears, "Anastasia" wine (hehe! Okay...so I added the 'a' at the end of a Greek wine...), and going to take my hand at homemade chicken noodle soup! Mmm!
No comments:
Post a Comment