(hehe! No, this really isn't a joke.) I am thankful for these little brick roads. (Bocsanat...I apologize that the yellow is not shown very vibrantly in this photo, but unfortunately the sun had gone behind the clouds...I shall try to get better ones.) In the beginning, it just made me giggle...yellow brick road? Seriously? I would start skipping and saying in a sing-song voice, "Follow the yellow-brick road! We're off to see the Wizard, the wonderful Wizard of Oz!" But I am really growing quite fond of the yellow bricks. They give the town geniune character. And there is not just one yellow-brick road, but they are everywhere! Want to go someplace? Follow the yellow-brick road...but you also have to know which one.
Today was a lovely day, and the weather was gorgeous. It seems to have taken a bit of a turn away from the freezing cold as it has been. And everyday is always more enjoyable when you have a bounce in your step. (I think people here are starting to get used to my "bubbly-ness.") I don't know why, but I can't help but smile and be in a bright mood...even with all the frustrations in music and life. Oh, well...I'm not going to question it! Plus, I got a package from home today! Yay! :) Who honestly doesn't enjoy getting a package? It pretty much just had my coat and boots and a sweater and such in it, but...it had pictures of my nephew Xander in it! and...CANDY CORN!!! Yum! :P So exciting!
Solfege today, although me ear is still quite awful, showed some progress. Klára even thought so. I didn't feel as prepared for class as I probably should have been...especially given the fact that the weekend was uneventful..., but it went well. She, like János and the rest of them, are after me about being confident in what I do, not just hoping/guessing, but knowing and believing that I know it.
My voice lesson today with János: brilliant! Finally, it is starting to creep into my head. It was a good feeling after three sessions with him of completely missing the point he was trying to make. It's getting there. I could see it in his face, too...when we started some vocalises, his "stern-ness" broke into a smile, and he began to chuckle as if it was what he had been waiting for all this time. Of course, that man is never satisfied and rightfully never should be so. And neither should I. There is always more, another new step to go beyond what you already know. Here, they certainly don't allow you to stop at any point because they know that you can achieve so much more beyond every level of accomplishment. In music, as in life, the learning never ceases. Oh, and János' quote of the day: "Singing is a vomit with a smiling yawn." He actually took it from someone else, but oddly enough, it is quite an accurate description. It sounds entirely ridiculous, though, I know.
From that lesson, I got to go to my piano lesson with Orsolya, and how can you possibly spend time with that lady and not be put into a good mood if you weren't before! She is so sweet. :) "My dearest, it's okay if you make mistake because I love you. You don't have to be perfect right away. Now, play it again, but this time don't make a mistake! (haha!) Relax! Feel the music! Each composition is a story. Make the phrases sing!" haha!
After a much-needed trip to the supermarket and a quiet dinner and cup of tea, Asia, a student from Poland, enlightened me with her hilarious description/recount of what she heard through the halls of the Institute during my voice lesson: "It was like 'Waaaaaaaaaaa!' I though you were going to make the walls go out from the vibrations!" hahaha! She gave me a good laugh. (I suppose it really isn't that funny if you didn't see it, so sorry for that.)
Okay, I have procrastinated long enough and now can only make noise for another hour before quiet hours upstairs, so it is off to practice a bit for me. I shall leave you with this lovely picture I took on my way out home from the supermarket. Such a pretty little place here. And it is so fun to people watch in the square and to see the children playing on this slidy thing and around the fountains. (I'll have to get a picture of them, too.)
No comments:
Post a Comment