Monday, June 23, 2008

Because why?

You know when you were little and you'd continually ask your mom or dad questions...mostly that they could not answer...and they would always reply with a "Because," to which you would push the question further by answering, "Because why?" Recently, I have found myself asking these questions. (Well, more often that I usually do!) Questions that have no real answer...known to man that is. Perhaps my curiousity has been heightened by watching the little kids at day care as they discover something new in the world but also from the last book I read (yes, the not-so-interesting one). It was basically a travel journal, and the guy said he knew he'd been traveling solo too long when he started to ask himself these questions. His biggest curiousity was "Why do they call it a grapefruit?" He said something to the idea of this: "If you handed me a grapefruit...something yellow, the size of a cannonbal, and sour...a grape is nowhere near the first thing to come to mind, so why do they call it that?" He's right. Why do they call it a grapefruit? (If anyone can answer that for me, I'd love to be enlightened.) But, of course, gave my overactive imagination the beginning of a spiral that is still continuing. I get why they call an orange an orange because it is in fact orange. And watermelon is mostly water. But what about a cantaloupe? This didn't stop at fruit. Why do they call it toilette water if it smells good? Or, in music, who decided what sounded beautiful in harmony, melody, form, etc.? You stick a few notes together and sound them simultaneously, but who decided if it was pretty or ugly? And how could they decide that before equal temperament? Or how did the internet become what it is? I mean, how did virtually all information get there in order for them to have created this thing we call the web? Sure over time it gets there, but in the beginning, who was the brainiac that got it all there in the first place? Alright, I'll stop making your head swim...it's contagious...and I apologize for starting the spiral in your head!


Wow. I can't believe it's been almost two weeks since my last post. My life: work, work, and more work. That's about it. I haven't even really practiced or anything...by the time I get off work, I'm too tired to do much. No worries, though. (Well, doing my best not to stress myself out!) Everything will be just fine. But forgetting about work for now...thoughts on Hungary: sooo excited!! Yes, occasionally I freak about money and sucking at music there, but all that aside, I am super psyched. (I'm sure that's not new news, though!) My little sister Becca attended Bible camp last week. My friend Sandy's husband is the pastor at a church not too far from here, so he invited her. She had a great time, and I got to do some visiting with Sandy and her mommy-in-law. David (her husband) is going to teach me some self-defense this summer, too. He taught me a little bit before I went off to college, but I unfortunately forgot most of it. Oh, and they have a Hungarian lady that attends their church, so they are going to get us together to chat. Fun! My old theatre director from the community theatre I was involved with in high school came to the fruit stand the other day. It was so crazy to see him...and totally unexpected. I looked up to tell him his total and freaked when I saw who it was. It was good to see him, but it made me realize how much I miss all of those people. That theatre really helped me develop as a musician, performer, and a person. And the people there were my greatest friends in those days. However, dance and that theatre are pretty much the only things I miss from high school. You couldn't pay me to go back to high school. Not even a million dollars! I hated high school. It just wasn't full of very good experiences, and never want to relive that hell! But enough of that. Life is absolutely fabulous, and I love it. :)

3 comments:

  1. Suggestion: get a book on epistemology. Might help with a few questions... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just so you don't think I'm some crazy stalker, I found your blog through Katrin.

    Anyway, I'm with you on the high school thing. Had a reunion a year ago, and it was very disappointing. We went from Chicago down to Texas for it, and hardly anyone that I actually wanted to see was there. It reminded me of how much fun I didn't have, other than in band and the newspaper staff. And to be honest, some of that stuff from band doesn't seem very fun in retrospect. I do miss some of those friends, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! I didn't assume you were a stalker, but thanks for clarifying that! So you're a musician? Sweet! Do you play classical horn? What's your story? If you didn't notice from my ridiculous blog, I'm a vocal performance major...someday hope to sing opera. :) Music's pretty much my entire life...that, and being fairly ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete