Sunday, July 12, 2015

Adventures in House-sitting

My friends have gone off to Europe for two weeks and left me to watch over their house, pets, and plants. (Hopefully, all the plants will survive my reign!) They live down the street from my place, and I feel like my apartment is slowly walking over here because every day I stop by and pick something else up!

As jealous as I am that they are in Europe and I am not (and despite my cat allergy), I can't say that I am not enjoying hanging out in a cozy little house with a basement overflowing with vintage opera recordings and music books, a giant TV, plenty of practice space (when I am not distracted by the aforementioned things!), central air conditioning, a back porch for lounging, and a milk foamer in the kitchen. I no longer understand what life is like without foamed milk. Spoiled? Slightly. Of course it comes with its ridiculous situations, too. I wouldn't expect anything less in my life! For instance, like trying to make friends with the parrot. (Yes, a legitimate parrot.)

Parrots are one of those animals that only bond with one person, so naturally she bit me on the first day. No blood, didn't hurt. We're good. So, I tried to make friends by singing to her...which only made her afraid of me, and now she scurries to the corner of the cage every time I come in the room. Perhaps this is for the best. Then yesterday, she decided to pull a Houdini, undo the lock, and escape the cage!!! Luckily as soon as she saw me, she squeezed right back in the cage through the opening she'd made in the door like a little kid that got caught playing instead of being in bed, but imagine my shock of walking into the room to find a giant bird chilling out in the middle of it! This bird and I now have the relationship of the monkey and Ben Stiller in Night at the Museum!

The one cat that always used to growl at me is now being friendly, while the other cat crazily bounces off the walls every evening. And my uncanny ability for my foot to always find my dog Rafiki's pee apparently transfers to animals in any house... I should probably just give up on wearing socks!

And so continue the chronicles of my crazy life! What ever will I encounter next? =P

No comments:

Post a Comment