Sunday, July 21, 2013

My Heart Belongs to Hungary.



It's true. It is theirs forever. Nearly five years ago, I stepped foot on Hungarian soil, and since that moment, my heart has been taken by this beautiful and incredible corner of the world. Now, returning to this place, once again, I love it more and more with each moment. I think I would stay forever if I could. ;) No matter, I will return again and again. :)



I must apologize for, yet again!, neglecting this little page. I have been overwhelmed with beautiful moments and living life...documenting it has not been my strong point. (I must retract my statement about no airport trouble with The Hair, though...the U.S. let me go untouched. The UK, however, had a pat-down to hand out and questions to be had at customs! Ha! Ridiculous!)

Two days in Budapest and then it was off to Kecskemét. I was good about journaling in my new notebook...for about two days as well. And then I got so caught up in the moments that the journal was quickly left to collect a little dust. 



I spent my little weekend in Budapest reacquainting myself with my dear city. Wandering around Pest and discovering little gems. I got "lost" in this little music store on Museum korut for over an hour and finally just had to pull myself away to continue on my adventures! Found some lovely Hungarian musical jewels...and more to see if I can incover still in my time here! ;) 

I met up with Dr. M by the Opéra ház and was quickly whisked away to Liszt Ferenc tér to meet Her friend Lillla and her family. I never thought the day would come that I was meeting up with Dr. M...IN HUNGARY!!! So wonderful. Made new Hungarian friends, and we spent the good part of over two hours talking away. Such a treat! Lilla's husband is a composer, so we talked much about what about the music makes us love it so much. The whys, the whats, the hows, etc.  Lilla's daughter Beatrix and I then when to dinner and drinks and walked around for a bit. A bit of a late night, but it was fun! 

Sunday mornings in Budapest are among my favorite things, and I spent mine last week exploring over to the castle district. A beautiful morning climbing steps, meandering about, chilling with my buddy Zoltán (the Kodály statue...teehee!),  met a lovely older British couple, and then found my way to sipping cappuccino and eating apple strudel. Yum! And I may have already bought two new scarves... ;)

After all that, it was off to Kecskemét to hang out with Kodály for "real"...



I love this place. Feels like another "home" to me. :) It may have been five years, but it felt like I picked up right where I left off. Yes, I have grown in incredible ways since then, especially musically. I remember everything, though, like it was yesterday...including where the yogurt was in the grocery store. (Yes, that is a little weird. Haha!) And as for language, my Hungarian skills quickly came flooding back, and I have begun building upon them more and more each day. :) I so wish I could be fluent one day. 



This first week has been absolutely beautiful. János apparently didn't know I was coming till Dr. M said something just moments before I met him in the hallway. What a beautiful surprise last Monday morning! :) That man is such an incredible teacher and musician, and I am so blessed to have a little more time with him this summer. :) A little scary how he remembers EVERYTHING about me! And one of the first things he said to me was that he watched my recital online! What?! Then, of course, he proceeded to tell me everything he liked and didn't like about it. Total honesty.  Wouldn't have it any other way, János! ;)

I have daily lessons with him and also daily coachings with the BRILLIANT pianist Balazs and also with Roland, the chamber coach from my days here before. Balazs is seriously incredible. Such a kind, gentle soul and a genius. I think I overwhelm him, though, with my bubbliness and continuous questions. He cracks me up, too...one day in a coaching I was late on the beat after a high note, and he turned to me and said, "Don't be a good soprano....be a bad one and be on time!" Haha! Too perfect. Roland seemed pleasantly surprised to see me, too. I do not believe he expected me, either. It is fun to surprise people like this...person they least expect to randomly show up. Love it. ;)



It's been an intense week of singing, a little tired, but loving my moments with these wonderful Hungarians. Singing in a masterclass on Tuesday evening, so I have quite a bit of work ahead of me still. You know that philosophy to always be prepared? So true. Because I am programmed to sing something I never intended to coach here...until János asked me to bring it in. Oh, boy! Nothing like a crash course and pulling together that "professional soprano" bit. (P.S. Travelling as a singer is probably one of the coolest things ever. Just saying. Teehee!)

Amidst all this beautiful music, I have also been soaking in Hungary. Strengthening my Hungarian, make the most of everything, eating way too much delicious food, discovering new jewels in this town, "living," again, in my dear Hungary...and going to see Despicable Me 2 in Hungarian. Let me tell you, it was still hilarious! And, of course, causing a bit of ruckus in Kecskemét! Wouldn't be me if I wasn't! ;) 





Oh, and I cannot forget to mention my awesome new Australian friend James. What a hoot! He and I are some sort of kindred spirits because we are both crazy, bubbly, overly imaginative, and basically just a couple of 5-year olds in adult bodies! He is absolutely brilliant, and we have had many lovely conversations and hopped off for ice cream together after he observed a lesson of mine. 

The new week began with a rest day on Sunday, including a beautiful Sunday morning stroll to the Bozso museum. I have a new favorite artist now. Seriously, his paintings are phenomenal. Such beauty of light and shadow. 



The darling ladies working at the museum spoke only Hungarian, so that meant more practice for me! I somehow ended up very roughly being the translator between English and Hungarian. I find this language like a fun little puzzle. It is like a game to me to try to figure it out. After our wonderful tour, we sat talking to the ladies for a short while, and then the one that had been our guide through the galleries showed us the way to the actual church from the one painting I absolutely fell in love with. Adventure time! So cool! ;) 
 


What this next week has in store? The world only knows.... Muhahaha! I'm excited to discover all of its beautiful moments, however. 


No comments:

Post a Comment