Saturday, June 22, 2013

The Whirlwind of My Life



I cannot believe I have left this space for so long!!! I think I realize how far behind I am on writing...and then procrastinate because there is so much to catch up on! Haha! It's a vicious cycle! It has been an incredible whirlwind that past two months!

In a nutshell...

Recital videos are up on YouTube! You can find them at: https://www.youtube.com/user/SopranoSngbrd/videos

The Ariettes Oubliées made a second appearance in a performance at my dear friend Ya-Chun's graduate recital. Such a joy to perform with her! :) I also decided I would do my own hair for this recital...after more than TWO HOURS sitting in front of the mirror with a curling iron, I decided I have too much hair! Haha!

Purchased airplane tickets to Europe... Ha! (More on that in a minute...)

I completed my Master of Music!





Got a glorious, unending case of laryngitis, which of course, is the perfect thing to happen to a soprano!

A mere two days after the voice began to return, I was jetting off to my alma mater in Ohio for a gig--after a full day of teaching!--with gown and glitter heels in tow. It was so incredible to be back on campus...and to be there as a "professional soprano." And traveling anywhere as such is such a magnificent feeling. This is my life...and I LOVE it!!! Let's keep this rolling... ;)

Oh, and what happens when Miss Big Hair (my Boston-branded nickname...hehe!) goes through airport security THIS time?! THEY MADE ME TAKE MY HAIR DOWN!!! Yes, that's correct. I set off the metal detector, and after removing my jewelry, and I was asked in a rather hostile tone, "What is in your hair?!" I said, "Excuse me?!" And then, the guard proceeded to tell me I had to take it down, or I would be submitting myself to a full-body search. I said, "Okay...but I warned you that you didn't want to see what happens when I take the hairpins out..." The locks unfurled in an unruly manner, and the jaws of the couple in line behind me hit the floor. The guy said, "Uh...nice...hair..." and then realized it was okay to laugh when I started making jokes. Haha! PRICELESS!!!! Apparently, my hair looks suspicious. You never know what could be hiding in there... ;) 



They treated me like a total princess when I was there! Teehee! As soon as I walked through the door, they were making sure I had water and anything else I needed and giving me full reigns of the hall.  My flight had been delayed in Philly, so I didn't get to Ohio till after midnight...then didn't get to bed till 2am....to wake up bright and squirrely for a morning rehearsal and an afternoon performance. Adrenaline, a ton of water, a dose of caffeine, a wonderful vocal technique, and some B vitamins fed to me by my coach's husband got me through! Tim, the man in charge of the whole event was a doll. Once I put on my heels for the rehearsal, he looked at me, and said, "In those shoes, girl, you can have whatever the hell you want!" haha! I am not one to be the "Kathleen Battle" diva, but I have to admit the attention is fun. ;) He also owns a spa, and I was given a generous gift certificate. So sweet!



A visit to Ohio also meant seeing the lovely Lynn, whom the concert I was brought to sing for was in honor, my dear friend Sarah, my long-lost love Que and his new beau, Alex, a happy slue of old professors and friends, staying with my "Ohio family," Barb, Tim, and the girls...they are my home away from home always, many visits to Cherbourg Bakery to see Geri and the crew, midnight chats over wine on Geri's porch, an impromptu parlor performance with Que before the electric went out for a little while, dinner with my long-lost Chad, reuniting with my darling Caitie, lunch with Dr. M, midnight chats with Barb after everyone else had gone to bed, making oobleck with the girls, and seeing dear, sweet Nonni for a couple hours before I had to leave town... It was a glorious four-day reunion, and I was overflowing with joy to see everyone, catch up with them, and share all that I have done in the past two years. It was as if I never left....one of those visits where you can pick up right where you left off. Love. :)









After four days in Ohio, it was four days visiting home in PA. Days filled with watching Becca play soccer, reuniting with the dog Rafiki (that almost snuck in my bag to come back to Boston with me!), Xander being my shadow, and watching his caterpillar build its chrysalis. That kid is too much! Haha!




Then, it was back to Boston to spend the week packing up my apartment. Meanwhile...

With practically a day's notice, I learned and performed the Fauré Requiem...and then moved to a new apartment for the summer...about an hour after the concert. Yes, I am crazy.

Since then, I have been working as much as I can, practicing, battling a ridiculous allergy roller coaster, from which I lost my voice AGAIN last weekend ( -_- highly unamusing), attempting to also keep somewhat of a social life, and squeezing in a couple of much-needed technically-based voice lessons because...

Europe...

I leave in just under 3 weeks for a 6-week romp around Europe. Yes, this is totally happening! Ack! :) There must be something about huge, life-changing events that prompt me to do drastic things, like purchase plane tickets to Europe...because I did this three years ago when I graduated college, too... Hehe! ;)

This trip is of a little different nature, though, not just [entirely] a gallivant. I will be returning to Hungary for a 3-week singing course with the wonderful János, Roland, etc. at the Kodály Institute. :) I cannot wait to see and sing for them, again! A lot happens in 5 years...especially in the voice! It is going to be exciting to show them the difference and delve into the Hungarian music world once again. And surprise! I also discovered that Dr. M and a few colleagues from undergrad will also be in Kecskemét at the same time! Crazy small world! It has turned into quite the "reunion" summer! 

After 3 weeks in my beautiful Hungary, I will be meeting up with my friends Christa and Vince for a road trip to their house in Switzerland, perhaps via Salzburg, a holiday in Croatia via Milan, and then back to Switzerland for a few days before I fly back to Boston.

In the meantime...I am in the midst of hardcore apartment hunting because directly following my return to the States, I must move to a new (and hopefully semi-permanent, and by that I mean, God-willing, minimum 2 years!) apartment...AND THEN roll right into orientation week and a new school year. Oh yeah...I graduated with the Master of Music, but I didn't think I had had enough just yet, so I signed on for one more year for a performance diploma. Haha! 

And there you have the continuing adventures of a crazy soprano on her "Big Hair" head... ;) 

Stay tuned for more adventures and anecdotes leading up to and throughout my European excursion! :)

I will leave you with some of the recital photos I received from my aunt whilst at home...









No comments:

Post a Comment