The world of a crazy soprano who loves life and singing...and can be absolutely ridiculous at times...
Saturday, May 3, 2008
Drama of Flying a Kite...
I am now back in PA...for the next four months! Not sure what to think. I kind of wish I could have stayed in C-bus for the summer, but I know that I need to be home this summer. I'm sure it won't be too awful, right? I guess we shall see only be going thru it! The last few days at school were nice. Thursday, a few of us went out to lunch, and then Karly, this kid Josh, and I flew a kite. What laughs! Josh had never flown a kite, but he was an Indian Guide when he was little. Needless to say, he didn't really get to fly it. We struggled a bit trying to put the kite together...there were no directions. Then, Karly and I tried for about ten minutes just to get it into the air. (The kite was a frog...a poison dart frog to be exact! hehe!...it looked funny flying around with its legs going all over the place!) Finally, we succeeded. However, it resulted in me looking like an absolute idiot running around because the kite decided to go wild and controlling it by just the string was out of the question. Plus, we had to play dodge-the-trees. Once it went down...like two minutes later...Karly gave it a shot. She got it stuck in the tree. After some tugging, though, she got it free...only to moments later get it tangled in the tree. The two of us tried relentlessly to free it while Indian boy sat watching and laughing. We finally made him try...then the string broke, and that was the end of our kite-flying career. The whole feat was quite ridiculous!...and there were laughing professor spectators to top it off! We decided that this tree decoration (we named the frog Stanley) was our contribution to the university (besides the thousands upon thousands of dollars we shall eternally owe them!) and our marker of our halfway point. Earlier, Josh brought up the fact that we are halfway thru our Bachelor degrees, and two years from now, it'll be time to be a real adult and get a real job...except Karly and I will never have a real job because we're performance majors...and we're off to graduate school from here. He asked, "Doesn't that scare the shit out of you? (Pardon the "French") I am scared out of mind!" I have to agree with him. It is pretty scary. A real job? Yeah. Right. haha! After the kite fiasco, I met with Dr. Mathias one last time and then with Lynn to go over some repertoire stuff. The parting was sad, but not too awful because I'll be back before I leave for Europe. (118 days!...well, 117 in about 30 minutes.) Thursday night, we had a choir recording session for four hours. Fun times! ha! It was long and grueling but overall went really well. Except it didn't end then. We had another three hours on Friday morning. Oh, joy! Whatever. It is done. We listened to one of the songs, A Boy and a Girl by the Eric Whitacre, at our choir picnic Friday night, and all I had to say was, "Damn!" (Pardon the language again) Not to sound pompous or anything, but we sounded amazing! I knew we were a good choir, but I never realized how good! And I know I say how much I don't care for choir, but it is cool. The aesthetic is cool. My voice just doesn't fit into that little box they want it to...makes me feel restrained. Friday afternoon was spent packing up my room and shoving it into the car to leave this afternoon. (The choir has to sing at Baccalaureate and Commencement services, so even though the academic year finished Thursday, we had extended stay.) It starting raining like crazy in the middle of our trips to the car, and typical of the electric there, the power blinked out for a few seconds. Unfortunatley, I happened to have been in the elevator with a few boxes. I was stuck between floors two and three and spazzing out. The lights flickered off but came right back on. However, the elevator didn't go anythere...though there was a little jolt...I thought it was going to plummet! I was only stuck for maybe two minutes, but that was enough for a slight panic attack. I think I have a complex with elevators now. I refused to go in it again. After the choir picnic, I hung out with some friends. We ended up at the "Jennies" house. (We have two piano major friends both named Jennie/Jenny, and they live together.) Their house is really cool. We danced and listened to music and such. Then it was off to bed at a semi-decent hour because we had to be up early for choir stuff. Today was choir stuff and then getting the last few things packed into the car. It was a tight squeeze, but my mom and I did it. Now, I'm back home and not so sure. It'll be odd to be home for so long. But Karly, Courtney, and I sign our lease for our house August 15th!, so I'll go back a week earlier than planned, and one of them will take me to the airport on the 29th. It'll be crazy being at school and having nothing to do but move in, practice...maybe grab a couple lessons with Lynn!, and goof off. Then, I'll go to Europe and goof off in Austria for a week. THEN I'll go to the Kodály Institute...but the first week there is orientation stuff and placement testing. Craziness! There's going to be almost a month before I actually start classes and such!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment